"A Candle Loses Nothing By Lighting Another Candle" - Father James Keller


Sunday, June 12, 2011

My Review of "Broken" by David H. Burton


Blurb:
Three days before her twenty-fourth birthday, Katherine Gregory receives a letter from her deceased mother. It details a faery curse in which the eldest child in each generation will die in their twenty-fifth year. 

Three days before her twenty-fourth birthday, a new love interest comes knocking, and her first love has returned - neither men are what they seem, and Katherine may have to choose between them.

Three days before her twenty-fourth birthday, Katherine must decide if this is all real, or if the strange visions she's been having are just a figment of her imagination.

The race to unravel the mystery begins, and Katherine must solve it - for any day after her birthday could be her last.

My Review:

I know I say this a lot, but once I read and like an author’s book, when I read the next one, I kind of hold the author up to a certain standard. In this case, David H. Burton had quite a challenge ahead of him because his novel, Second Coming, was one of the best books I read last year. Even though Broken is quite a different type of story, I was not disappointed in the least!

The depth of character Mr. Burton creates is just one of the wonderful things about his writing. His heroes and heroines are fully fleshed out, as well as many of his supporting characters. In this story, Katherine is just that, broken, but never defeated. Just days before her 25th birthday, she is immersed into a new world of faeries, one hidden for a long time from her. Yet, she meets the challenges of learning and surviving this world head-on. With romantic entanglements and all, I promise you that you will keep turning the pages.

Another thing David is just brilliant at is creating a world of his very one.  Clear and fantastic descriptions only heighten the well-devised rules of his fictional universe, full of a rich history, a unique setting, and strong creatures. While his story captures you, it also is easy to follow while leaving the reader with enough questions to keep reading. Without giving anything away, just let me say Mr. Burton will surprise you time and again. The phrase, I didn’t see that coming, entered my mind a couple of times. So, obviously, plot, another strength!

Really, David H. Burton is truly gifted, an extraordinary author I am grateful to have found.

Click Here to Purchase Broken
Click Here to Read My Review of Second Coming
Author Website: http://davidhburton.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

In accordance with the new FTC Guidelines for blogging and endorsements, Kiki Howell of An Author's Musings, would like to advise that in addition to purchasing my own books to review, I also receive books, and/or promotional materials, free of charge in return for an honest review, as do any guest reviewers.