"A Candle Loses Nothing By Lighting Another Candle" - Father James Keller


Sunday, February 28, 2010

Review – “Midnight Reborn” by D McEntire


Midnight Reborn - The Watchers, Book 1 by  D. McEntire


Book Blurb:
Never look back…

After suffering years of abuse as the virtual prisoner of a drug lord, Robyn Andrews has had enough. A carefully planned escape is her only hope for survival. Her past nipping at her heels, she boards the first bus out of town and heads for Louisville, Kentucky.

Trigg is a Watcher with two missions in life. One, to hunt and eliminate Rogue vampires. Two, to be left alone. Yet he can’t bring himself to harden his heart against the petite woman who looks so lost standing in the rain. And when Robyn joins him in a battle against Rogues, the little spitfire shows the bravery of ten Watchers. She’s someone special, someone he needs in his dark life.

Someone he can never have. He’s vampire; she’s human. A future for them is impossible.

But the past has a way of catching up and changing destinies with deadly speed.

Warning: This book contains violence, spicy sexual scenes and erotic biting!
Book Length: 238 pages
Publisher: Samhain Publishing


Review:
While this story mostly stuck to the basic vampire rules, which I personally like, there were also a few differences which kept it interesting rather than distracting from the story. Truthfully, I found myself unable to stop reading it. Being an author, I hear the old adage of show and don’t tell quite often, but I think this story did a nice job of both.  I liked the “telling” to tell you the truth, it was written passionately enough to easily glide me through it like a vamp salivates over the smell of human blood. Sorry, had to use the analogy, blame the full moon!

The story violently grasped my attention on the first pages with Robyn’s plight, tugging at my anger and emotions, making me mentally fight for her, in hopes of a new life.  Of course, life isn’t easy for a runaway, especially one who has run from abuse.  But, it becomes even more of a battle, with at times overwhelming issues, when one gets rescued by a vampire, especially a vamp who has to uphold secretive missions.  All of the characters are readily likable, full of quirks and commonalities, and that works in the stories favor.  The suspense lends itself well to the romance, to the angst of the hero and heroine. I love a good, jaded hero who thinks too deeply, errs on the side of justice, and loves just as passionately once ensnared unknowingly by a woman!

Knowing this is a series and having read over the other blurbs, I do like the way that the coming stories, not just Book 2, were alluded to at times in the plot line. This takes some planning, and foresight to do. As an author, I am impressed by this alone!  So, I look forward to reading the others, and hopefully meeting up with Robyn and Trigg again.

Look for my review of Midnight Rose, Book 2 coming in March on the first day of spring! I thought it was appropriate.


Reviewed By:
Kiki Howell
Author of Magical Erotic Romances

No comments:

Post a Comment

In accordance with the new FTC Guidelines for blogging and endorsements, Kiki Howell of An Author's Musings, would like to advise that in addition to purchasing my own books to review, I also receive books, and/or promotional materials, free of charge in return for an honest review, as do any guest reviewers.