"A Candle Loses Nothing By Lighting Another Candle" - Father James Keller


Monday, February 8, 2010

Interview With Emma Hillman

Kiki: I want to start off by asking a few questions about your books, as I have had the privilege of reading many of them!
Emma: Fire away!

Kiki: Location, Location, Location came out in August 2009, and you continued Mia & Kevin's story when Yes, No, Maybe released in October 2009.   I have heard chatter asking you if Kevin was written with a particular person in mind.  So, is he? And, if so, who? Or, if you can't tell us who, why is it a secret?
Emma: Oh yes, my lovely fantasy, the very hot Kevin. I guess it’s not really a secret, considering he also knows about it. But, I quite like to make people guess. So, Kiki, dear readers, who do you think Kevin is?

Kiki: Tell us a little about your upcoming Curve Happy series, and what you like about writing Rubenesque stories?
Emma: Curve Happy is a series idea I came up with when I realized I was writing the same kind of stories, all the time. You see, I write stories that I want to read. It’s that simple. I want books with Rubenesque heroines who find love in hot men’s arms (and beds). I tend to really hate 'perfect' heroines; I just don't see the appeal, hence why I'm quite happy writing Rubenesque ladies in every one of my books. At least, that means I enjoy re-reading what I've written! :)
So far, the series includes two novellas: A Thin Line, to be released on 19 July (eXcessica); and One Last Vice, on 30 August (eXcessica). And I'm working on some others, including one very hot swapping story which I hope will see the light of day at one point.

Kiki: Okay, lets get a bit more personal…
Emma: *cracks knuckles* I’m ready!

Kiki: After reading your biography, I have to ask ~ exactly how many different languages do you speak?
Emma: I’m French and British so obviously those are my two main languages. I also speak German, Chinese (Mandarin) and a little bit of Russian. Oh, and I know ancient Greek but that’s not going to help me much these days!

Kiki: You said you read in English because it sounds better.   For those of us who can only speak one language, can you explain why?
Emma:This is somewhat odd as I grew up in France, but I can’t read romance, let alone erotica, novels in French. It just doesn’t sound right! Everyone is probably shaking their heads right now, knowing how French is supposed to be the language of love. But nope, it just doesn’t work for me.

Kiki: You don't plan your stories, you have said, but where did the idea for Behind Locked Doors come from?   I see Book Two released today! Yeah!
Emma: Yeah! The idea behind BLD came to me while I was on my commuter train one evening, listening to my iPod. The song ‘Gallery’ from Mario Vasquez came on and the lyrics go like this:
“Tell me is the money worth your soul
Tell me what's the reason that you hold on
When you know that dude has a whole wall of 'em just like you
And girl you're just way too fine
Gotta be treated as one of a kind”
My mind started buzzing at the idea of some guy having a whole group of girls, all the same, just for him. Automatically I thought of a Harem, and what would happen if it was not only one man (too greedy!) but several. What if some unsuspecting girl became a part of it, but she kept saying no to them? It spiraled from there 

Kiki: You write some really hot stories! So, tell us when you read your first erotic story, and when you wrote your first?
Emma: Oh my. My first erotic story? I’ve read romance for years, ever since I was a teenager. I remember the Angélique series and how hot they were, especially to my 13-year-old mind. Phew! *fans herself*
My first ever erotic piece, however, was a short story entitled The Married Woman’s Guide To Romance and basically tells the story of this woman who’s trying to bring a spark back into her marriage. She uses tips found in magazines/online/etc. to get her husband to notice her again, and it takes a while…but it works in the end!

Kiki: Now, a few quick, more personal questions...
Best book you read recently is? 
Emma: Soulless by Gail Carriger (Orbit). Paranormal, historical, romance, steampunk: it's got it all!
Kiki: Favorite guilty pleasure you will admit to? 
Emma: Watching crappy TV when I’m on my own. So entertaining!
Kiki: If I gave you $1000, what would you run out and buy? 
Emma: Probably books. Oh, and OPI nail polish (anyone wants to donate, I can give you my address!).
Kiki: What food can't you live without? 
Emma: Cheese. Yum! Can't live without it.
Kiki: Last thought before you go to bed each night usually is concerning? 
Emma: It varies, but I’m usually thinking of fantasies. Whether personal or book-related, I like to think of something nice before I fall asleep. I tend to ‘dream’ plots, so it helps with the inspiration!

Kiki: Two more...
If you had more time, I know you would want to write more, but what else do you wish you had more time to do? 
Emma: Probably take care of myself. I tend to run around on weekends, between the house, the laundry, the toddler, the shopping, etc. If I manage to go to the salon once a month, I’m beyond happy. If I had more time, I’d like to use it for myself…Selfish, I know. But believe me, it’s necessary if I want to keep my sanity!

Kiki: Okay, all of these questions, just tell me something I don't know about Emma Hillman. 
Emma: I wanted to be a fashion designer when I was younger. I used to buy Parisian fashion magazines and recreate professional outfits/photos onto paper. I loved it. I still do, but writing is my creative outlet these days.

You can Purchase Emma's Books at http://excessica.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

In accordance with the new FTC Guidelines for blogging and endorsements, Kiki Howell of An Author's Musings, would like to advise that in addition to purchasing my own books to review, I also receive books, and/or promotional materials, free of charge in return for an honest review, as do any guest reviewers.