"A Candle Loses Nothing By Lighting Another Candle" - Father James Keller


Tuesday, March 8, 2011

ABA AUTHOR INTERVIEW WITH LAINA TURNER


Kiki: What is your favorite genre to read in, and what is it about that genre that attracts you to it? If you like a specific mix of genres, please state that particular combination.

Laina: It really depends on my mood. If I’m in a bad mood I romantic/comedy so I can cheer myself up through light banter about nonsense. I love mysteries because I enjoy a challenge. I grew up on Tom Clancy and John Jakes via my father and always enjoy what I learned from those books. As an only child books were my main source of entertainment.

Kiki: What is your favorite author to read in that genre, and why? Also, please tell me a little about the best book by that author you have read.

Laina: I enjoy Sophie Kinsella because her characters make me laugh. My favorite book of hers is Shopaholic.
 Patricia Cornwell for the more serious mysteries. She creates  great characters and a compelling story.

Kiki: Do you have a Favorite Book of All Time? Of course, please tell us what about that book makes it your favorite.

Laina: Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. By far the BEST book ever.

Kiki: What is the best book you read last month, and would you recommend it to a friend?

Laina: You can heal your life by Louisa Hay. I am trying to be more grateful for what I do have rather than worry about what I don’t. This book is probably a little more on the metaphysical side than I would normal read but the foundational concepts make sense.

Kiki: What are your reading habits like? For example, how many books do you read on average in a week, what format do you prefer to read in, what time of day do you read, and what setting is ideal for you to get lost in that book?

Laina: I spend most of my disposable income on books and rarely go anywhere, even the grocery store, without buying one. I am a fast reader I can read a full-length novel in a few hours. I love to start my day reading and that is how I unwind at night. I can read anywhere but I love reading in bed at night.

Kiki: If pressed, could you choose a favorite from the books you have written? Why is it your favorite?

Laina: My first, Stilettos & Scoundrels, for the simple reason that is was my first. It by far isn’t my best (since is was my first) but I love it. It’s my ugly baby.

Kiki: How do you become inspired to write?

Laina: As I mentioned I was an only child and have always had an overactive imagination. Even as an adult I can sit and day dream and make up stories in my head.

Kiki: What part of the story do you think is your strength to write?

Laina: The beginning. I am always excited at the start to meet and get to know the characters. Then they can start to annoy me when they don’t do what I want them to do.

Kiki: Please share with ABA readers something I did not think to ask you about.

Laina: I believe that everyone has a story to tell. They may express it in different ways but we all need to be open to listening, That is how we will learn and grow.

Laina Turner
Being fabulous is a skill

Chiczofrenia – crazy is an art form – released January 2011.
  
Chiczofrenic is the term for the woman who is purposeful and intentional in how crazy her life may be. The goal with this book is to recognize many women drive themselves crazy, intentionally, by trying to be all they can. I firmly believe we can have it all. A great relationship, being a great mom, keeping a good house (if that’s important to you), being a career woman, following your dreams, working out, eating right, and many more. Women seem to have the knack for how to manage it all and not go crazy. Women seem to always take on more and more…and are successful at it.

Purchase at www.lainaturner.com/store or Amazon

Short Excerpt:
We all know there’s crazy and there’s holy crap crazy. While we may all have our holy crap crazy moments, hopefully, most of us average out to moderately crazy. I like the phrase crazy is an art form because to me it’s about embracing individuality even if it’s outside the norm and others might think it’s nuts. Like everything else in life, you need to excel at your individuality. You need to feel confident. Look at women like Madonna and Cher. They’ve led colorful lives because they didn’t conform to “normal” by others’ definition. They embrace who they truly are, their “normal.” It has pissed people off or made others question their values or morality, but who cares? Cher and Madonna have the right to be how they want without others judging them. And so do we

Laina will be giving away three $40 Visa gift cards during her tour: one to a randomly drawn commenter in each of the following periods: January 31-February 25; February 28-March 25; March 28-April 22. Comment here or on any other post during Laina’s tour to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment

In accordance with the new FTC Guidelines for blogging and endorsements, Kiki Howell of An Author's Musings, would like to advise that in addition to purchasing my own books to review, I also receive books, and/or promotional materials, free of charge in return for an honest review, as do any guest reviewers.