"A Candle Loses Nothing By Lighting Another Candle" - Father James Keller


Thursday, March 3, 2011

ABA AUTHOR INTERVIEW WITH JEAN HART STEWART PLUS CONTEST


Kiki: What is your favorite genre to read in, and what is it about that genre that attracts you to it? If you like a specific mix of genres, please state that particular combination.

Jean: Sheesh, right off the bat a question I can’t answer! I just don’t have a favorite, unless you go by the all-inclusive label of romance. Within that genre I love paranormal and historical, both of which I write, and the more modern-day books that are almost so much fun. As long as there’s plenty of romance, quite a bit of sex, witty lines, and a great plot I love it. I don’t want much, do I?

Kiki: Do you have a Favorite Book of All Time? Of course, please tell us what about that book makes it your favorite.

Jean: Yep, Pride and Prejudice. I fell in love with that book when I was thirteen and never got over it. The sex is only implied, but the wit and romance still enthrall me. Such very clever dialogue.

Kiki: What is the best book you read last month, and would you recommend it to a friend?

Jean: I loved “Take My Breath Away” by Tina Donahue. Great dialogue and plot. Absolutely I’d recommend it. I also just finished two by Susan Johnson that were excellent. All her books are meticulous in plot and clever in language. I’m a rapid reader so although I don’t have much time to read I cover a lot of ground.

Kiki: What are your reading habits like? For example, how many books do you read on average in a week, what format do you prefer to read in, what time of day do you read, and what setting is ideal for you to get lost in that book?

Jean:  I’d guess four, maybe five books a week.  I read every day, generally the last two hours of the day. Up until then there’s promo, web mail, and more promo. I’m not good at promo, I guess because I don’t really like it. And then I write at least three hours a day. I read in both e-book and paperback, seldom hardback unless it’s from the library. I have a large comfy chair in my bedroom with an ottoman I can stretch out on and I love to snuggle up there and read.


Kiki: If pressed, could you chose a favorite from the books you have written? Why is it your favorite?

Jean: Another toughie. Choosing a favorite is truly impossible. How can a momma pick between her children?  I love all my Druid books, and if I had to make a choice would probably pick Druid’s Daughter since it got me started on my Druid books. My current historical is also dear to my heart. It’s set in 1815 and England, and that was such an eventful year I did tons of research. I really enjoy research. My Mage series is coming along nicely, am now working on the next three at once.

Kiki: How do you become inspired to write?

Jean: Not really an inspiration. More of a compulsion. Can’t remember not wanting to write and dabbling at it, until the desire got so strong I quit my day job and concentrated on writing. One of the best decisions I ever made, since I love it so.

Kiki: What part of the story do you think is your strength to write?

Jean: My brain’s getting tired. You’re definitely making me think too hard. But since each of my books is set in a different year, I’ll choose weaving in the history of that period seamlessly. Kinda hard to do, and I hope I succeed. I want my readers lost in whatever year they’re in, not distracted by details.

Kiki: Please share with ABA readers something I did not think to ask you about.

Jean: Finally an easy question. I want to state how lucky I am! To be able practice the craft I love the most, and be able to have great readers and fantastic editors makes me feel blessed every day. And thank you so much for having me!!!

Jean Hart Stewart
The Hart of Romance


Blurb: For Love and I Are New  

Lord Christian Cherne, recently invalided out of the Penninsular Army, is looking forward to the pleasures of London. He has one duty to discharge before he searches for a mistress. He must offer his protection to Lady Juliet Sloan. Paul Sloan was killed in battle, leaving Christian a horrifying letter of his sadistic treatment at the hands of Roger Gullis. To his dismay, Christian finds Gullis sitting in Lady Juliet’s parlor when he comes to call. All his plans must now concentrate on keeping Juliet safe. Christian further suspects Gullis of being a traitor and his fears for Juliet increase.

Juliet is attracted, but suspicious of which man is the traitor. As attraction between Juliet and Christian grows, Gullis turns cruelly vengeful.

Will Juliet and Christian be able to thwart Gullis’ plans to help bring Napoleon back to power, even as he finds wicked retribution for his rejection by the two lovers he has come to hate?

Excerpt:

 As Christian threw her up on her horse, and then mounted himself, Juliet looked for Boney. He was sitting by Maggie and made no move to come with them.

“Let’s go, Boney,” said Christian. To everyone’s amazement, the dog didn’t budge. In fact he moved even closer to the small girl.

“Well,” said Christian, “that’s a surprise.”
Maggie gave the dog an embarrassed push, but he stayed by her side.

Christian laughed. “If you can stand his company, I’d be delighted, Miss Maggie. We’ve been wondering where to house him.”

Southworth looked as if he were about to have a fit of apoplexy. “Maggie, that’s his lordship’s dog. Tell him to go along with his master. I’ve taught you better than this.”

Before she could answer Christian cut in. “It looks to me as if Maggie and I might share the ownership, Southworth. You can’t direct affection, you know. I think it’s a wonderful solution, if he isn’t too much of a pest. My mother thinks he’s much too big
for the house.”

Southworth, still embarrassed, looked first at the girl, who was reluctantly taking her arms from about Boney, and then at his lordship’s wide smile.

“Let me know if he gets to be too much of a bother,” Christian said and rode off, still grinning.

Boney watched Juliet and Christian leave. The big dog didn’t move except to follow them with his eyes, then he sighed and sat down on Maggie’s feet. Maggie’s arms wrapped around his neck once again.


CONTEST:
Jean will be giving away a download of one of her books (winner's choice) to one randomly chosen commenter on EACH of her tour appearances. She will award the winner's choice of print books to the commenter with the best comment at the end of the tour. Tour ends 3/11

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Jean - so glad you liked "Take My Breath Away" - it was great fun to write. :)

    ReplyDelete

In accordance with the new FTC Guidelines for blogging and endorsements, Kiki Howell of An Author's Musings, would like to advise that in addition to purchasing my own books to review, I also receive books, and/or promotional materials, free of charge in return for an honest review, as do any guest reviewers.