"A Candle Loses Nothing By Lighting Another Candle" - Father James Keller


Monday, January 3, 2011

My Review of "Human Blend" by Lori Pescatore

Blurb:
Escaping from them had been difficult enough, now Laney needs to keep hidden. All she wanted was to be on her own. Laney is not like other girls... she has very special abilities that set her apart from others. How or why she came about these abilities is a mystery she has yet to unfold. Haunted by memories and flashbacks of the suffering she endured at the hands of her captors, she changes her appearance and hides out in a small town. Ignoring her own warnings, she begins a relationship with a local boy. The relationship turns dangerous when the boy begins developing similar abilities. This development does not fall under the radar of the men who are trying to recapture her. A young doctor's interest is piqued when he witnesses her mysteriously curing a young child's illness. He befriends her due to his growing fascination with uncovering the true nature of her abilities, but not without harboring secrets of his own. Laney's new life falls apart when she meets a young intern that seems to have all the answers to her questions. The information sends her into a tail spin. Thoughts of going on the run once again are thwarted as those whom she was running from find her.


My Review:
I was hooked early with the underlying, back story suspense which began on page one. Then, I  became simply enthralled with the characters and the present mystery surrounding them all while hints of the back story continued to rear its ugly head. 


For most of the book, the paranormal elements were so subtle, yet completely understood.  I believe the settings had a lot to do with that early on. Eventually, Ms. Pescatore let me in on exactly what the characters were, and I am not too proud to admit that I was wrong in my own guesses. Yet, no matter where I was in the story, the characters were strong, and they tugged at my heart strings. They had a nice depth to them, a balance often hard achieved with so much action in a story. I quickly became attached to Laney, fell in love with Austin and became attracted to Eli right along with her. For the first time, I was presented with a love triangle where I couldn't decide between the two men. 


The paranormal elements mixed with the caring and healing in a hospital setting were wonderful and emotional. The mystery & suspense which darkly juxtaposed this element heightened the whole experience. The romantic surprises were a nice touch, but I won't say more thus I give something away. Overall, I loved this story. It left me breathless. But, the ending, well all I will say is there better be a sequel, and I will be first in line to review it.


Click To Purchase At Amazon in Kindle or Paperback

No comments:

Post a Comment

In accordance with the new FTC Guidelines for blogging and endorsements, Kiki Howell of An Author's Musings, would like to advise that in addition to purchasing my own books to review, I also receive books, and/or promotional materials, free of charge in return for an honest review, as do any guest reviewers.