"A Candle Loses Nothing By Lighting Another Candle" - Father James Keller


Monday, January 17, 2011

ABA AUTHOR INTERVIEW WITH JOSELYN VAUGHN



Kiki: What is your favorite genre to read in, and what is it about that genre that attracts you to it? If you like a specific mix of genres, please state that particular combination.

Joselyn: I usually read contemporary or historical romance, historical fiction or literary fiction.  It depends on what mood I’m in and how much energy I have. I like contemporaries because I can relate to the people.  They are doing the same things and worrying about the same things.  I like historical for the clothing and the lifestyle and the historical events you can absorb from them.  I’m drawn to literary fiction for the richness of the writing and the description.  I hope that some of it rubs off on me as I read.

Kiki: What is your favorite author to read in that genre, and why? Also, please tell me a little about the best book by that author you have read.

Joselyn: My favorite romance author is Julia Quinn.  I love her characters and her dialogue.  My favorite book is Romancing Mr. Bridgerton with Colin and Penelope. When I look back on my high school experience I see a lot of Penelope and that probably endears her to me. And Colin is always eating.  It’s hilarious.

Kiki: Do you have a Favorite Book of All Time? Of course, please tell us what about that book makes it your favorite.

Joselyn: I think it would have to Pride and Prejudice because it encompasses all the things I like to read, but that may change tomorrow. (I hate the security questions that ask you that.  I can never remember what I put. J)

Kiki: What is the best book you read last month, and would you recommend it to a friend?

Joselyn: I just finished The Lady Most Likely, a sort-of anthology by Julia Quinn, Eloisa James, and Connie Brockway.  I would definitely recommend it. The stories are sweet and delightful. Every time I think of the drawings of the squirrels I start laughing.

Kiki: What are your reading habits like? For example, how many books do you read on average in a week, what format do you prefer to read in, what time of day do you read, and what setting is ideal for you to get lost in that book?

Joselyn: Before kids I read for myself a lot more, a couple books a week at least.  Now it takes me a week to read something would have taken a few hours.  I tend to read Kindle books on my Ipod Touch before I fall asleep.  The nice thing with the Ipod is that I don’t lose my place when I fall asleep and I can read without the light on.  That is probably the most likely time for me to get lost in a book.  The problem is that is keeps me up too late at night.

Kiki: If pressed, could you chose a favorite from the books you have written? Why is it your favorite?

Joselyn: Of the finished books, Courting Sparks is definitely my favorite.  Although when my current work in progress is finished, it may bump Courting Sparks out of the top spot.

Kiki: How do you become inspired to write?

Joselyn: My time to write is fairly limited, so when I have time to write I need to sit down and do it.  I can’t wait for inspiration to come.  Unfortunately, that means some days are like pulling hen’s teeth and other days are easier.

Kiki: What part of the story do you think is your strength to write?

Joselyn: I like to develop characters.  It’s so much fun to come up with well-rounded characters and set them free on the page.  In my current work in progress, the main character does her own thing and I have to try to keep up with her.  In Courting Sparks, Daphne’s cousin Peggy was a hoot to write.  She makes doing things over the top seem a little boring.  (She considered having sparklers in her hair for her 4th of July wedding.)

Kiki: Please share with ABA readers something I did not think to ask you about.

Joselyn:Coming from a library background (I used to be the reference librarian at my local library), I have to do a plug for using your local library.  As authors, we can make friends with the librarians and have them help promote our books.  And as readers we have access to so many new books that we can read for free.  It’s absolutely astounding.

Joselyn Vaughn

Courting Sparks Blurb:
Dusting off the ashes of a failed relationship, Daphne Morrow decides she is ready to date again. But when her scorched prom photos are discovered to be the ignition point for a small forest blaze, marking her as the prime suspect for the arson, she finds they’re not the only part of her past sparking interest. After a friend’s wedding provides a romantic interlude with her longtime friend Noah Banks, Daphne tries to explain away her attraction to him: the atmosphere of the wedding, his resemblance to her ex, his heroic efforts as a volunteer firefighter. Still, their desire just won’t sputter out.
When the arsonist strikes much closer to home, Daphne fears she must risk Noah’s friendship to find the culprit and clear her name. She’ll know their love is real if his interest isn’t put out by her need to uncover the truth.

Courting Sparks Excerpt:
Sandalwood and a touch of wood smoke.
The scents drifted from behind her and Daphne knew the man was sexy.  She closed her eyes as she stood on the corner of the dance floor and breathed deeply.  Maybe passing out candy bars for the Dollar Dance wasn’t such a bad thing.  Her Magic Eight Ball could be right. For once.
She tried to adjust the neckline of her fuchsia bridesmaid dress to enhance her cleavage, but the double-sided tape holding the mermaid-style dress in place wouldn’t budge.  
Sure, when you want the dress to come off, it sticks firmly in place.  She sighed.  She spun on her bare feet to greet the dream date behind her and stopped so abruptly her basket of candy bars tipped over, spilling chocolate at his feet.
“Noah?” she gasped.
A light blue madras shirt covered his broad shoulders.  His dark hair still damp from his shower.  She looked at him like she’d never seen him before. 
And she saw him almost every day.  He was the athletic director and she was an English teacher and the cross-country coach.  She was in and out of his office with student eligibility reports and questions about the team schedule.  Besides all that, they’d been friends since second grade.  She’d never had this reaction to him before.  What was different?
Noah bent to pick up the candy. His shirt pulled across his muscular shoulders as he reached for the scattered bars.  Daphne continued to stare at him. Water droplets clung to the hair on the back of his neck and she itched to brush them away.  She extended the basket for him to dump the bars.
“Fire call?” she said, trying to cover her stunned silence and hoping he didn’t notice her blushed skin.
“Yeah.  Out at The Willows.  Could have been really bad, but we were able to contain it.  Do I still smell smoky?”
Daphne leaned closer and breathed deeply.  His sandalwood cologne flooded her nose again. A touch of smoke lingered behind it.  She forgot to breathe out.
This was Noah, she told herself. Not George Clooney. Get a grip.
“Your cologne covers it.  How much burned?” she asked, stepping away to put some fresh air between them.
Noah shrugged.  “The flames kept smoldering in this heat. Hot spots were flaring up all afternoon.  Most of the trees are singed.  I’m not sure they’ll come back.”  He tugged at the front of his shirt as if he still felt the high temperatures.
“I can’t believe The Willows is gone.  No more hidden trysts out there.  Where will the teens go to make out now?”
“They’ll find some place.  They always do. There’s that place by the river, but the landowner is pretty adamant about kicking them out once a month.”
She hugged the candy basket to her chest.  Bittersweet memories of The Willows haunted her, now that Aaron was no longer in her life. They’d gone there to do all the things teens do in the shaded alcoves of the draping willow trees. The fire was a relief in a way, another reminder of him gone.
“Was Miranda angry I wasn’t here?” Noah asked.
She glanced at the bride twirling on the dance floor and pushed away the gloomy thoughts.  Good ol’ Noah.  He could always divert her depressing thoughts. “I think she’ll forgive you.” Daphne bumped him with her basket of chocolate.  “Not to dash your ego, but she didn’t notice.  She was so nervous before the ceremony, she peed every fifteen minutes.  I’m glad I didn’t pull bathroom duty this time.”
Noah laughed, the tone soft and deep.  “I don’t want to know.  Anything else happen?”
“If you’re asking if Max fainted, you owe me ten bucks.  He turned green during the solo, but his knees never buckled.” 

Follow Joselyn's Book Tour and comment to enter! She will be giving away copies of Courting Sparks and CEOs Don’t Cry. The more you comment, the better your chances of winning. All of Joselyn's  tour dates can be found here:http://goddessfishpromotions.blogspot.com/2010/12/virtual-book-tour-courting-sparks-by.html.

4 comments:

  1. Kiki, thanks so much for hosting. Hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome! This book sounds great. I have already placed it on my TBR list :)

    Happy Sales :)
    Kiki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic interview and the book sounds wonderful :).

    BK

    bkwalkerbooks at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete

In accordance with the new FTC Guidelines for blogging and endorsements, Kiki Howell of An Author's Musings, would like to advise that in addition to purchasing my own books to review, I also receive books, and/or promotional materials, free of charge in return for an honest review, as do any guest reviewers.