"A Candle Loses Nothing By Lighting Another Candle" - Father James Keller


Thursday, April 29, 2010

My Interview with Genella DeGrey, Author of "Love Divine"


Kiki: What is your favorite genre to read in, and what is it about that genre that attracts you to it? If you like a specific mix of genres, please state that particular combination.  


Genella: Kiki, my very favorite is historical romance. Anything from early-early to the 1920's (and time-travel, too.) Ever since I started reading, it has provided me with an escape from everyday life. That being said, I also love fantasy and supernatural romance. Now I have many talented friends who write contemps – and I read those, too. And just to confuse you further, for all of the above: The hotter the better.


Kiki: What is your favorite author to read in that genre, and why? Also, please tell me a little about the best book by that author you have read.


Genella: Aaah, way too many to name! I'd crash the site with the marathon list of answers. LOL


Kiki: Do you have a Favorite Book of All Time? Of course, please tell us what about that book makes it your favorite. 


Genella: I have a couple that will always have a special place in my heart. Judith McNaught's "Until You" (my first romance read ever.) Also, Jude Deveraux's "Remembrance" (which inspired me to become a writer.)


Kiki: What is the best book you read last month, and would you recommend it to a friend?

 Genella: As a matter of fact, last month I read Trish Albright's "Siren's Secret" and put it on my list of recommended reads on my website.


Kiki: What are your reading habits like? For example, how many books do you read on average in a week, what format do you prefer to read in, what time of day do you read, and what setting is ideal for you to get lost in that book?


Genella: I don't get to read nearly as much as I'd like to. I'm probably quite slow in comparison to other readers because I like to savor the story and give every character their own voice/accent in my head. It can take up to a month to read a mass market-size paperback – I might get a chapter a night in before I nod-off. I enjoy both print books and ebooks. As for the ideal setting? I'd love to go on a week-long cruise with a huge stack of books, sit on my private balcony and order room service and in-room massages. Sigh. Someday. :)


Kiki: If pressed, could you chose a favorite from the books you have written? Why is it your favorite?


Genella: This is such a hard question to answer. I guess would have to say "Remember Me" is the book of my heart, but "The Trouser Game" was just a pleasure to write. And then there is  . . . No. I'll stop. (Dang, it's hard to choose between my babies. LOL)


Kiki: How do you become inspired to write? 


Genella: In Jude Deveraux's "Remembrance" (which could be considered a historical, supernatural Romance) the heroine is a romance novelist who undergoes a past-life regression and finds out she's always been a storyteller. After I read that book, I knew I needed to get these stories out of my head and onto paper. :)


Kiki: What part of the story do you think is your strength to write? 


Genella: Ugh, I have no idea! I'd really have to ask my editor this question. If you were to ask me what flows easiest from my "pen" I'd have to say dialog, but again, my editor would be able to pin this answer down for us.


Kiki: Please share with ABA readers something I did not think to ask you about. 


Genella: I would be remiss in my duties if I didn't pimp The Romantic Times Booklover's Convention to all your readers! (You can find the link to this awesome convention on my website, on the "Appearances 2010" page.) I'll be there from April 27th through May 2nd – and if anyone is in the vicinity of Columbus, OH, I urge you to join us for the festivities. So many fun parties, book signings and did I mention more free books than two airline carry-ons could hold? Oh, yes – and the cover models. Bring. Your. Camera. ;)


Thanks, Kiki – this was fun!


Genella deGrey
Heating-up History.
My website: www.genelladegrey.com
Join me at my cyber home – there's lots of fun stuff to explore and plenty of new-to-you authors to discover! Feel free to leave me a comment or two!
CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE

BLURB:

In the Highlands of Britannia, 420 A.D., Aslyn, was raised a Druid by her late mother.
Now Rome has returned, but in place of a legion of solders, a single man peddles a new Roman god.

Ryus Jorian was sent on a mission for the new religion. But instead of a cave of barbaric souls in need of saving, he finds an intelligent, beautiful, hedonistic distraction whom his Bishop finds equally delectable.

Ryus must choose between the salvation of his soul and the woman he loves.

Aslyn must escape before she becomes the Bishop’s newest sacrificial lamb.



EXCERPT:
Reaching up to entwine her arms around his neck, Aslyn’s heart raced when his mouth softly coaxed her lips part. She nearly toppled over when he groaned as her tongue touched his. The wood post which bordered the stable separated their bodies, and Aslyn longed to be rid of the thing.
Suddenly remembering that anyone who had a view of the stable could see them, she broke out of the kiss.
“We shouldn’t be—”
“I know, I’m sorry.”
Aslyn glanced over her shoulder and back up to Ryus. No one was about, but that could change at any moment. Her breath came out in a huff that may have been part laughter. “Let me finish. We shouldn’t be doing this here.”
She saw his eyes light up like flames. “Then where?”
“Come to me after sundown,” she whispered, unable to believe the words actually came out of her mouth. Oh, she was thinking them, but once they passed over her lips, the bones were cast. He would be leaving soon, and it would be good for her to take a few more memories with her to her grave.
Without another word, Aslyn pushed away from the stable fence and headed straight for her lodging.
She paced in her room and wrung her hands, the same way in she did just before she met Ryus in the ancient grove of Ardwinna.
Aslyn almost yelped when he came bursting through her front door.    
“You have more faith in me than I do if you think I can wait until sundown.”

2 comments:

  1. I envy your ability to write a historical. I'm always terrified that I'll screw something up! Looking forward to reading your book -- it's in a unique time period, so I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I'm late - I just got back into the office from the Romantic Times Booklover's Convention in Ohio. Had a BLAST - and as soon as I can figure out how to transfer the pix in my camera to my blog, I'll put them up. :)

    Mysti - We have so many people in our circles who know their history - I'll bet you could write one and if you had any questions, anyone of your writer friends would either help out or point you in the direction of reference material. Historical romance readers are die-hard in their quest for their fave genres - There's always room for more! I encourage you to give it a shot, Mysti! :)

    G.

    ReplyDelete

In accordance with the new FTC Guidelines for blogging and endorsements, Kiki Howell of An Author's Musings, would like to advise that in addition to purchasing my own books to review, I also receive books, and/or promotional materials, free of charge in return for an honest review, as do any guest reviewers.