"A Candle Loses Nothing By Lighting Another Candle" - Father James Keller


Friday, November 12, 2010

INTERVIEW WITH LISA BURKE: FRIDAY FAVORITES


Favorite Genre(s): I love literary fiction… and I also love the Beat authors.

List of at least 5 Favorite Books in that Genre:
On The Road, Jack Kerouac
The Diaries of Franz Kafka, Franz Kafka
Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov
Nausea, Jean Paul Sarte
Little Woman, Louisa May Alcott

Favorite Author in that Genre, and Favorite Book by that Author: I love Vladimir Nabokov, though I haven’t read enough of his prolific writings.  For a man whose native tongue is Russian, he puts most of us to shame with his impressive capacity of the English vocabulary.  He often concocts plots that revolve around very unique (and fascinating) romantic relationships – the most famous of which is, of course, Lolita.  I’d say that’s my favorite of his books.

Favorite Book of All Time: It may actually be Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.  That woman can turn one paragraph about a small girl knitting into a thoroughly riveting passage.  I generally get a bit bored with the pre-19th century habit of over-description, but she’s got the adjectives, similes, and solid, developed characters to keep me rapt, every page.

Favorite Book Read Last Month: I am *way* behind in my reading, but the last book I’ve (almost) finished reading is the “The Mystery of Lewis Carroll” by Jenny Woolf.

Favorite Book You Wrote: My favorite book is the first one I wrote, called “The Invisible Visitor”.  I consider it my “baby”.  I doubt I’ll write another like it, because I never thought it would see a printed page.  Because I was so uninhibited, I took a lot of literary risks, including: using a mass of curse words, discussing touchy religious topics and incorporating spooky paranormal plot lines.  These topics are fun to write, but a little uncomfortable when your friend’s mother wants to read your latest.

Give Us One More Favorite Thing Beyond Books: Good food, sleeping and lazy contented days with good company – these are the things that make me happy.


“Thunder Destroys Me” by Lisa Burke Blurb: Why are there so many people in bed with Charles and Lucy? Don’t worry, they’re only figments of Charles’ imagination.  “Thunder Destroys Me” is a dark, unconventional novel about the agony of jealousy.  Join Charles, the ugly, ill-mannered accountant, in his struggle to change his image in order to get the girl of his dreams.  Watch him fight the evil Mind Militia, who attack him with messages of doom and hateful judgments.  This illuminating story, complete with intriguing characters and scandalous surprises, will make you reassess what you think about thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

In accordance with the new FTC Guidelines for blogging and endorsements, Kiki Howell of An Author's Musings, would like to advise that in addition to purchasing my own books to review, I also receive books, and/or promotional materials, free of charge in return for an honest review, as do any guest reviewers.