"A Candle Loses Nothing By Lighting Another Candle" - Father James Keller


Friday, October 22, 2010

My Review of "Silent Kill" by David Fingerman

I review lots of suspense/mystery books being a reviewer for Suspense Magazine, and I thought that David Fingerman’s  Silent Kill stood up well against most I read.  It kept me reading, engaged by the story. It is one of those stories where the reader gets to know things the main characters don’t, but Fingerman never gave it all away.

Written in multiple points of view, sometimes depth of character can be sacrificed. But, I found myself rooting for Louise, Andrew and Elias’s captives just the same, and in many different, torn sort of ways. I think the success of the characters was in the vast connections that the author made between them.

Elias was a tragic bad guy, and his character was where I really wanted to know more, more of his past which lead him to think the thoughts he did. Of course, us readers always want more. That has to be a compliment right there. Louise and Andrew on the other hand seemed to be built up together, unique characters for this type of story. Depth could be found in the layers of their lives. Gillespy, well I just never had a clear cut feeling about him, too complicated with such a jaded past, a character who struggles to be redeemed, but can they?. But, the best of all was the dog from the front cover – well I just loved him. What an amazing character he was, with a past, misdeeds, misfortunes and redemption all his own. I applaud this character! Wonderful :)

This is not a cozy mystery by any means. So if you like your murder mysteries/suspense stories with gore, a demented bad guy, violence, etc. I would say this one is for you. There is a lot going on in it as far as plot, some sub-plots that were not even resolved, but they didn’t need to be or shouldn’t be. The author kept adding in twists, and I know personally how much that takes to plan out.  And, his knowledge on the subjects showed. The cop talk was all very believable.

The biggest compliment I can give here is that I checked this author out. And, I really want to read, Edging Past Reality, his collection of short stories. Plus, I look forward to finding out more about his two coming releases.

Comment below to win my trade paperback review copy of Silent Kill, thanks to the generosity of the author. Make sure to put your email address in the comment so that I can contact the winner. Winner will be chosen via random number on 11/29/10.

You can buy this novel at Amazon 
 Or read more at David Fingerman’s Author Page at http://www.lldreamspell.com/DavidFingerman.htm
Or on his website http://davidfingerman.com/

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for the nice review, Kiki, and for reminding me that I have to get David's book!

    michael55345@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thorough review gives the potential reader a good idea about whether the book is for them. I appreciate the glimpse at the story and the elements that make it a recommended read. www.dkchristi.com, author of Ghost Orchid, a mystery of love, lies and redemption wrapped in the aura of the mystical ghost orchid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the kind of book I like! Congrats on a great review.

    Christy
    ctfrench252@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an excellent in-depth review. Silent Kill sounds like it has more twists and turns than the road I live on. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great review. Certainly has me wanting to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to Christy who won the review copy of "Silent Kill"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to win Silent Kill and I, too, am interested in reading David's book, Edging Past Reality. I really enJOY short story collections.

    http://ruthireads.blogspot.com
    ruthcox at abitosunshine dot net

    ReplyDelete

In accordance with the new FTC Guidelines for blogging and endorsements, Kiki Howell of An Author's Musings, would like to advise that in addition to purchasing my own books to review, I also receive books, and/or promotional materials, free of charge in return for an honest review, as do any guest reviewers.