"A Candle Loses Nothing By Lighting Another Candle" - Father James Keller


Saturday, September 2, 2017

This is an Author on Yoga


I know this is a blog intended to promote books, mine and other authors, but it is my blog, for my musings *giggles* (you are all scared now, right), and I have been working just as hard on training and teaching yoga as I have been writing and promoting my books these days. While there may have been some confusion with names lately, my given name is Kirstein, and my family nickname given to me by my grandfather that I use as a pen name is Kiki - I answer to either, or sometimes anything that starts with a k sound. Anyway, sitting behind a computer all day can take a toll on the body, and the yoga practice I have cultivated these past few years has helped me so much in caring for myself, mind, body, and spirit, as well as helping me find ways to cope with all my daily stresses including many aspects of being an author.

I'm really excited to be now teaching four classes a week along with some private classes, so for those local to me, I wanted to not only announce my schedule, but also let people who may be interested know what each class means to me, what they might experience if they attended.

MY SCHEDULE


Restorative Aerial Yoga, Sundays 6:00 - 7:00 PM at Centerpeace Yoga and Wellness Studio, 1951 State Route 59, Suite D, Kent, OH 44240

From the Centerpeace Website: "Restorative yoga uses props (blankets, bolsters, blocks, straps) and poses held for longer periods of time in order to create a practice that cultivates stillness, relaxation and a calmer state of being. Using the aerial silks adds another dimension to this already amazing practice."

So let me add that this is a Pamper-Yourself-Because-You-Deserve-It class! Students will let gravity do most of the work as they stretch and relax into poses propped with blankets and bolsters along with the silks hung close to the floor. Sometimes the bolsters and blankets are even inside the silks, and sometimes light swinging is involved!!! There will be guided meditation and more! This class is a dream to teach.

To read about the many benefits of restorative yoga, read my description of my Wednesday Restorative Yoga class below.

Class size is limited so pre-registration is highly recommended http://centerpeacekent.com/


Gentle Yoga, Tuesdays, 10:00 - 11:00 AM at Centerpeace Yoga and Wellness Studio, 1951 State Route 59, Suite D, Kent, OH 44240

In this class, we work to stretch and strengthen, but in a more gentle fashion. More poses are done supine or sitting, with limited standing poses in the middle of class. Gentle yoga is a great way to move the body, release tension, and achieve a better state of mind among other things. We do utilize the bolsters for a few poses in the beginning and end of classes along with breathing techniques and guided progressive relaxation.


Restorative Yoga, Wednesdays 4:30 - 5:30 at Kent State University Student Recreation and Wellness Center, 1550 Ted Boyd Dr, Kent, OH 44242

In this class I lead students through poses where their bodies are propped with bolsters, blankets, and blocks. The poses are held for several minutes, letting gravity do the majority of the work. What benefit can you get from holding poses for 2-5 mins? In a fast-paced world, restorative yoga helps to balance the body. With no muscular contractions involved, we "work" to increase flexibility and release tension from our lives, helping to still the mind, enhance mood, restore and boost the immune system, all while helping us to develop compassion toward ourselves.  


Yoga Basics, Fridays 7:00 - 8:00 AM  at Kent State University Student Recreation and Wellness Center, 1550 Ted Boyd Dr, Kent, OH 44242

From the KSU Rec Ctr Website: " For beginners or continuing students, this class will help you learn yogic fundamentals and develop a solid yoga foundation."

In this class, each semester, I spend several weeks exploring all levels of basic yoga poses as an introduction. Following that, I spend several weeks going beyond the poses to play with many variations and combinations of them, letting the students explore what their bodies can do and what is best for them with each pose. I also teach a few classes that brings poses together to work certain parts of the body from stretching the shoulders to strengthening the abs. Finally, we take all of this knowledge and work through some slow and gentle salutations, focusing on further pairing breath and movement. We really do it all at the level each student needs. A great introduction to yoga.



Private Aerial Classes can be scheduled at Centerpeace Yoga and Wellness Studio, 1951 State Route 59, Suite D, Kent, OH 44240 by calling (330) 346-0393

Regular or Restorative!
There are so many different reasons and occasions to book for: Birthday Parties, Girl's Night Out, Try It Out (especially if you are hesitant in a group setting), Work Out, Stress Relief, Just to Pamper Yourself, to name a few...
Call Centerpeace Yoga & Wellness at (330) 346-0393 to book!!!
Pricing for One Hour Class:
Private Aerial - $65
Semi - Private Aerial - $80 (add $15 per person up to 6 people)
Private Aerial Group (up to 12 individuals) - $185


Both places have so many great class offerings. I like to attend as much as I do teaching. You can check them out at http://centerpeacekent.com/schedule/ and http://www.kent.edu/recservices/group-x-descriptions



No comments:

Post a Comment

In accordance with the new FTC Guidelines for blogging and endorsements, Kiki Howell of An Author's Musings, would like to advise that in addition to purchasing my own books to review, I also receive books, and/or promotional materials, free of charge in return for an honest review, as do any guest reviewers.