"A Candle Loses Nothing By Lighting Another Candle" - Father James Keller


Friday, September 10, 2010

My Review of "Outlive Your Life" By Max Lucado


Outlive Your LifeYou Were Made to Make a Difference

By Max Lucado
Published by Thomas Nelson


MY REVIEW:

Ever since I read my first Max Lucado book, way back in the early 90’s, I have been simply amazed by his writing, his word choices. He takes basic everyday words and rearranges them so that an idea takes on a new life, rumbles around in my brain as it never has before, and then takes a foothold that makes a difference in my life. That is a true writer! I urge you to buy this or any other book he has written, to let him do the same for you.

Right from the beginning of this new book, Outlive Your Life, it seemed to me that Max Lucado was building up my self-esteem as one of God’s children in order to help me to take up my calling from this book – to rebuild the world we live in. I would call it a genius approach, but having read so many of Lucado’s books, I think he is genuine in everything he does. I believe he cares about every reader and truly believes in the things that he calls them to do. A lot of us don’t think we are enough to help.

Max Lucado puts things into perspective for me with wonderful stories of everyday people doing extra-ordinary things. His analogies are well-crafted and thus hit home. To be honest, not many non-fiction books keep me reading like his do. Read and look for a few of my favorites: the clamshell/compassion attack and the inmate football game with fans.

The book contains basic essential messages for this life – one’s we often forget. And, it challenges us to incorporate them into our lives, especially in a world that as he says devised to be impersonal.  His are no small challenges either. Lucado wants us to turn rivals into friends, leave or emails and texting to be hospitable in person, look at the suffering in the face and touch them, prepare for persecution, etc.

So, if you were called to be a “bigotry-demolition expert” who blasted “bias into dust,” would you know where to begin? Well, if your answer is no, then Lucado’s book can teach you. It even ends with an action guide to lead you.

I challenge you to read this book, and I am challenging myself to read it again and to give it to others. Max Lucado, as always, is out to make a huge difference with this book. I applaud him. So, read this book, eat humble pie and reconsider your place in this world!

Book Description:

These are difficult days in our world's history. 1.75 billion people are desperately poor, natural disasters are gouging entire nations, and economic uncertainty still reigns across the globe. But you and I have been given an opportunity to make a big difference. What if we did? What if we rocked the world with hope? Infiltrated all corners with God's love and life? We are created by a great God to do great works. He invites us to outlive our lives, not just in heaven, but here on earth. Let's live our lives in such a way that the world will be glad we did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

In accordance with the new FTC Guidelines for blogging and endorsements, Kiki Howell of An Author's Musings, would like to advise that in addition to purchasing my own books to review, I also receive books, and/or promotional materials, free of charge in return for an honest review, as do any guest reviewers.