"A Candle Loses Nothing By Lighting Another Candle" - Father James Keller


Friday, May 21, 2010

Friday Favorites with Denise Verrico


Favorite Genre(s):  
Historical fiction and fantasy/sci fi of various subgenres, but I read everything from manga to Literary fiction

Favorite Author in that Genre and Why?:
Robert Graves and Mary Renault.  They wrote very accessible stories about life in the ancient world and created such memorable characters.  In my own genre, I like Anne Rice the best, because of the rich details, literary references, character development and the dark mood. 

List of at least 5 Favorite Books in that Genre: 
I Claudius, Claudius the God, The Persian Boy, Funeral Games in historical and in vampire novels, Interview with the Vampire and The Vampire Lestat, I Am Legend.

Favorite Book of All Time: To Kill a Mockingbird

Favorite Book Read Last Month: The Vampire Armand

Favorite Book You Wrote and Why?:
The one I’m working on now, Fearful Symmetry, Book Three of the Immortyl Revolution.  It’s going through my critique group and I’m doing re-writes.  This one is just so much fun.  I’m writing from the POV of a rather irreverent male vampire named Cedric MacKinnon.  He’s a pretty boy and a bit taken with himself, but he’s got a deeper side that makes him irresistible.  He’s an adept of the ancient arts (Immortyl temple dancer/courtesan), so it’s sexier than the other books.  The story is set in India at the court of the Chief Elder of the Immortyls.  It deals a lot with tantrism and mythology.  I love doing the research.  There’s lots of intrigue and politics.  Even though it has a contemporary setting, it deals with an ancient culture.   It’s like writing high fantasy with vampires.

Please feel free to add any other list or question that has to do with a “favorite” and “book”!
My favorite Fantasy Books, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Mists of Avalon
YA Fantasy-Harry Potter series
Favorite Graphic novels-Watchmen, Death Note
Favorite Thrillers, Silence of the Lambs, Dexter series
Favorite Sci Fi books- All of Ursula K. Le Guinn
Favorite Classics-Pride and Prejudice, David Copperfield


Denise Verrico
Urban Fantasy Author
Immortyl Revolution Blog” www.ImmortylRevolution.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

In accordance with the new FTC Guidelines for blogging and endorsements, Kiki Howell of An Author's Musings, would like to advise that in addition to purchasing my own books to review, I also receive books, and/or promotional materials, free of charge in return for an honest review, as do any guest reviewers.