"A Candle Loses Nothing By Lighting Another Candle" - Father James Keller

Monday, October 12, 2009


Review of Eternal Desire by Roxanne Rhoads
Reviewed by Kiki Howell

After reading Eternal Desire, I would have to call Roxanne Rhoads a master of words.   Each sentence flowed into another with a nice blend of old elegance and contemporary style which I think is important in this type of paranormal writing to best blend the modern day setting with the ghosts and vampires of another time.   I have to give you an example from the beginning of the story, “a shadowy figure in my dreams, whispering of longings and ancient secrets. I never saw his face, but his voice lingered in my soul. He was an invisible guardian, calling to me…”

Roxanne easily sets the tone of Halloween time not only with her words, but with her vivid description of New Orleans.   While I have never been there, after reading Eternal Desire, I now feel like I have.   The dark streets with the vibrant party energy, the streets and the stores, as well as the activities and smells all came together to build this place where the unbelievable could so easily become believable.   It was the perfect backdrop.

Another well-honed trick Mrs. Rhoads employed was to use universal themes that in or out of context can easily apply to all.   I believe this gives a reader a starting point of comparison to help them really connect with the story.   For example, when comparing Quillon and Christian, her duo of heroes, she says “I felt myself being torn between a shadow and a stranger.”   We have all felt like that at some time being torn between our ingrained thoughts—the shadow, and something else new to us from the outside world—the stranger.  In doing this the reader should now know exactly how Liz Beth, the heroine fells.

In between the desperately hot scenes, for me the story weaved in-between the obvious and the mysterious well or enough that just when you think you have it figured out there is still enough lingering doubt to press you forward.   However, I was left with a few questions unanswered, which is okay, because I loved the story and therefore am hoping for a sequel.


Eternal Desire Blurb:
Liz Beth, a paranormal researcher, is haunted by a vampire who may or may not be real. She arrives in New Orleans the week of Halloween to search for the elusive vampire of her dreams, Quillon, and instead encounters a handsome stranger, Christien, with whom she begins a passionate affair with.

Soon she is torn between her dream lover and a flesh and blood man, both of whom are a mystery to her. The closer it gets to Halloween the wilder things get. LizBeth gets closer to the truth about Quillon while Christien has her under his own spell. Will all be revealed at the Ball or will the masks stay in place?

In New Orleans at Halloween anything is possible.




Roxanne Rhoads
Freelance Writer, Erotic Romance Author, Poet, Book Reviewer

RoxanneRhoads@aol.com

www.fang-tasticbooks.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

In accordance with the new FTC Guidelines for blogging and endorsements, Kiki Howell of An Author's Musings, would like to advise that in addition to purchasing my own books to review, I also receive books, and/or promotional materials, free of charge in return for an honest review, as do any guest reviewers.